Raising Learners is a new podcast series hosted by raisingchildren.net.au. Hosts Professor Julie Green and Derek McCormack interview guests including child health experts, school principals, leaders in the autism disability fields and in the education of Koorie children as well as the e-Safety Commissioner.
The podcast series provides parents with practical advice, tips and ideas for supporting children’s health, wellbeing and engagement at school, and while learning at home.
The 10 episodes cover:
- What can I expect from my child’s school? – Lisa Branch (Principal, Victoria Road Primary School) and Prof Julie Green (Executive Director, raisingchildren.net.au)
- VCE and VCAL – what you need to know to help your teenager thrive?– Darren Trippett (Principal, Yarra Hills Secondary College), Bernadette Gigliotti (CEO, Career Education Association Victoria) and Phil Newnham (career counsellor and teacher, Wantirna College)
- How do I make the internet safe for my child? – Julie Inman-Grant (e-Safety Commissioner)
- How to support children with additional needs – Dr Kerry Bull (Consultant to Noah’s Ark) and Dr Tim Moore (Senior Research Fellow, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute)
- How to help primary school kids succeed in learning– Hayley Doyle (Principal, Swan Hill Primary School) and Prof Harriet Hiscock (Group Leader and paedatrician, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute)
- Suppporting children’s mental health and wellbeing in difficult times – Dr Meredith Rayner (raisingchildren.net.au)
- Boredom: how to make the most of it – Cat Sewell (Play specialist)
- Teen learners: how do I support my teenager to learn and succeed – Guest TBC
- How do I support my Koorie child through school? – Guest TBC
- Autistic learners: how do I support learning and development in times of stress? – Chris Varney (Chief Enabler and founder, I CAN Network)
The podcast series was funded and developed in partnership with the Department of Education and Training Victoria and has been promoted to every government funded school in Victoria.
Subscribe and listen to the podcast series here.