The child abuse CPG has been updated and reviewed by the CPG committee.
The Key points for the CPG are
- Discuss all concerns about possible child abuse with a senior clinician. Report all suspected cases in accordance with mandatory reporting obligations
- Child abuse is a possible cause for many different presentations. Children who attend with injury or suspected abuse must be assessed top-to-toe
- Suspected inflicted head injury, recent (<72 hours) sexual assault and poisoning often require time-critical investigations. Consult specialist services urgently
- Child sexual assault requires specialist service responses with trained medical forensic examiners
- Use of clinical decision tools, body diagrams and clinical photographs are recommended
The CPG includes a separate page of additional resources with a list of state-specific services and contacts.