The Procedural sedation CPG is a new topic and has been reviewed by the CPG committee.
The Key points for the CPG are
- Use non-pharmacological methods as alternatives or adjuncts, such as play therapy and distraction techniques
- Topical agents, local or regional anaesthesia should be used if appropriate (eg Bier block)
- Ensure adequate analgesia, monitor for combined effects of sedation and opiate analgesia
- Choice of sedative agent depends on child factors, the experience of the clinical team and location where the sedation is to be administered
- Sedation agents should only be used by clinicians who are trained and approved in their use in children and who have experience in paediatric resuscitation, airway management and monitoring