The Asthma preventer treatment in adolescents 12 years + is a brand-new CPG providing new guidance on the anti-inflammatory reliever-based treatment regimen for adolescents with asthma. It has been reviewed by the CPG committee.
The Key points for the CPG are
- Any adolescent with asthma should be on a treatment regimen that includes an ICS. Prescribing SABA treatment (ie salbutamol) alone is no longer recommended
- For most adolescents with asthma, treatment can be started with as-needed combination of an ICS and a LABA
- Traditional treatment with SABA and inhaled ICS is also effective and should not be changed without consulting the adolescent’s care team or a senior clinician
- Treatment can be stepped up and down according to response. Never cease an adolescent’s ICS completely
- Always check inhaler technique and compliance before dose adjustment