World Environment Day is celebrated annually on June 5, encouraging awareness and action for the protection of the environment. The theme for this year is Reimagine, Recreate, Restore and Ecosystem Restoration.
In recognition of World Environment Day, we are encouraging you to join us in creating a more sustainable environment. Here are five tips on what you can do to help:
- Adopt sustainable gardening in your backyard, you can practice composting or start your own veggie garden/join your local community garden
- Have a rubbish free lunch by using a reusable cup or container, whether bringing your own lunch from home or purchasing a meal out
- Recycle correctly by separating your waste into the appropriately coloured bins
- Ride your bike or walk where you can, like to the local shops or to the park
- Decrease your electricity consumption by turning off unnecessary lights and appliances when they are not in use
The RCH recognises the potential impact of climate change and is committed to preserving children’s health and wellbeing for current and future generations. We are continuing to research and implement sustainability initiatives around energy, recycling, water and waste reduction, as well as more sustainable procurement. Our hospital is actively recycling paper, batteries, PVC plastics, electronics, coffee cups and single use metal instruments.
Together, we can help make a difference by playing our part while together in the hospital and continued into our homes. Learn more about World Environment Day here: www.worldenvironmentday.global/