Run for the Kids 2017: Jack survives deadly brain tumour

A few days after brain surgery, Jack Miles was kicking a ball around the hospital. Now the Miles family is taking part in Run for the Kids to raise money for the RCH. Picture: Rob Leeson.

Originally published in the Herald Sun March 2, 2017.

Words by Kara Irving.

One day little Jack was fighting fit, the next he was in hospital having surgery to remove a life threatening tumour from his brain.

Parents Alana and Reece knew something wasn’t right last September when their son Jack began vomiting every night.

The usually healthy child also had unexplained dizziness and would become unbalanced.

“We noticed he’d start grabbing onto walls,” mum Alana said.

“He was the type of kid that ran everywhere and that had stopped too.”

After countless doctors visits, the Werribee couple took Jack to the Royal Children’s Hospital.

In a meeting with doctors they learned the worst — Jack had a 5cm tumour on his brain.

“It was the worst day of my life,” Reece said. “We kept thinking: ‘did we do something wrong?’

Alana didn’t want to believe the news: “I thought the walls were caving in. I knew I’d heard something bad but it wasn’t registering.”

Doctors diagnosed Jack with children’s tumour pilocytic astrocytoma.

They knew the growth was near the cerebellum at the base of the brain and could be removed through surgery.

But what they didn’t know was why it happened.

“I kept hearing that it was appallingly bad luck,” Alana said. “They were wishing they could explain.”

Luckily the surgery was a success, with all of the tumour removed. He was cleared of any cancer, but would need scans for the rest of his life.

A few days after surgery he was kicking a ball around the hospital. Now the Miles family is taking part in Run for the Kids to raise money for the hospital that saved their son’s life.

“We’ve never done the run before, but we have donated every year,” Alana said.

“I don’t think I could ever express how grateful I am. I’ll never be able to repay them enough.”

The family friendly 4.8km and the long 14.6km courses will give runners a once-in-a-year opportunity to run through the Domain Tunnel, otherwise inaccessible by foot.

More than 50 per cent of entry fees go directly to the Good Friday Appeal.

Last year more than 27,000 Melburnians raised $1.7 million.

The Werribee family wants to raise $2000 for the hospital ahead of the event.

You can join us on Sunday April 9 for Victoria’s favourite fun run, the Herald Sun/CityLink Run for the Kids.

The unique community event is the single biggest fundraising contributor to the Good Friday Appeal.

7 comments for “Run for the Kids 2017: Jack survives deadly brain tumour”

1. Nicole Stickland

This is my 4th Run for the Kids after my son had a similar experience. So thankful for a great hospital.

2. PATRICK OGALA

I want to specially thank Rick Simpson for saving my friend’s life
    with his healing oil. some years back my friend Jane was diagonized with
    a deadly disease cancer of the lungs, we try all medication all to no
    avail, we also try to do the oil our selves but we were doing more harm
    than worse. until an old friend of ours told Rose and tell her about RSO
    that cures cancer completely, she gave us the email address of Rick
    Simpson (ricksimpsoncannabisoil41@gmail.com)
    from that very moment we decided to give it a trier, by emailing Rick Simpson. instantly we got a reply from him asking us what

the exact cancer problem that my friend Rose has, we explained every
    details of it to him, and he told us, that his oil will heal
    my friend cancer problem ..we did not buy the oil, we only paid for
    delivery charges.he told us that by the next 42hours or so the
    medication will get to our door step through the delivery services, we
    decided to give it a try and behold when we did, exactly 48hours of the
    medication came to our door step through the delivery agent and

deliver it to us. immediately we emailed him that we have gotten the
    medication, and the usage instruction manual was also delivered to us.

my friend Jane started the medication immediately just after a month of using RSO, Jane is now free from cancer problem, she is

living a healthy life my utmost priority of sharing this short
    testimony is for those that are suffering from this kind of cancer

diseases or if your friend or family members are suffering from this
    deadly disease, please don’t die in silence there is a cure
    for your cancer today don’t waste anytime further you have to email Rick Simpson directly and save your live and the lives of
    others

3. JONATHAN SPERRY

These big companies only care about money and profits they could get. They don’t care what will be the effect of their greediness to all the people and their surroundings what really causes cancer are all this preserve food they are making, how can a preserve food last for three months, i have been buying preserved food for my kids as a single father because i do not have enough time for my kids due to my job, then suddenly my first daughter feel sick and i quickly run a check on her and discovered she was diagnosed of cancer, as a Doctor i looked for cure but couldn’t find any my daughter started taking drugs like her whole life depends on it, it wasn’t working the cancer was still spreading i searched more on the internet i found a testimony on how it cured someone then .i copied the email immediately the email ricksimpsoncannabisoil41@gmail.com i wrote to this very email ricksimpsoncannabisoil41@gmail.com, in an hour i got a feedback asking me few questions, and enlightened me on how to get the oil in the next 48hours, i placed my order and in the next 48hours the medication oil got to me in Nairobi Kenya immediately my daughter started using the oil, it been two months now, since my daughter has been using the medication oil and the cancerous problems are gone this very fact was clarified by me and other doctors
    i put up this piece of testimony for the sake of those once who need this oil to please don’t die in silence their is a cure for your cancer today email: ricksimpsoncannabisoil41@gmail.com and get the oil

4. Elizabeth Warren

This is so great am alive to testify the good work of hemp oil and it’s miracle healing.

In April 10th 2016 i was diagnosed of breast cancer and bone cancer when the doctor told me it was already too late for me, that i have only ten month’s on earth to live. I shared tear’s and all hope was gone thinking that i will just sleep and go just like that.

My mom came to visit me in Serbia two month’s later and bought me some hemp oil product saying that it work’s well on cancer, ever since she told me about the benefit’s and encourage me to use the medication. I have been on treatment for the past 4 months now which was the required treatment plan for me.
    Last week, I went to hospital to do my test and to God be the glory my cancer was not found there anymore. I have been cured with Rick Simpson hemp oil which my mother had bought for me.

My family is forever grateful to Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil.

Last week my mom gave me his email which i contacted him in person and thank him for the life saving. Below information.

rickcurecancer7@gmail.com

5. James Moore

Greetings to you.

We the Direct Access Online Finance Services offers secured &
    unsecured loan at a very low interest rate of 3%. We offer Personal
    loans, Debt Consolidation Loan, Venture Capital, Business Loan,
    Education Loan, Home Loan or “Loan for any reason! Do you have bad
    credit? You can still apply.via: jamesmooreloanfirm@gmail.com
    Contact us today for your applications!!!

Yours Truly,
    Customer Service
    Direct Access Online Finance Services

6. Thomas Karol

Hello my name is Thomas Karol , my husband was suffering from liver cancer, and the doctor’s told me that there is nothing they could do to save my beloved husband life. Then a friend told me about hemp oil , i told her that my husband liver cancer was in the last stage that i don’t think the hemp oil will be able to help, and she persuaded me to try, for the love of my husband, i decided to give it a try. I did some research and i found a doctor who helped me with the cannabis oil to cure my husband liver cancer and he assured me that after 3 months the liver cancer will be gone, and For the past one year my husband is perfectly okay and he is free from cancer, if you know any one who is suffering from cancer you can save his/her life by contacting Dr. Brown Nelson via his email : (brownnelson07@aol.com) it worked exactly as the doctor prescribed. Thanks to Dr. Brown Nelson for taking away sorrow in my life. God will bless Dr. Brown Nelson for helping me with cannabis oil and for his support and care, i will keep on help you to fight cancer in the World, all i have to say is THANK YOU LORD.

7. Robert Green

My mother Stage IV breast cancer and MS has just been cured with the cannabis oil gotten from Rick Simpson, cannabis oil is great medication. To hell with the government and their insane policy, we have a medication that is hundred percent assured to cure cancer and you don’t need to spend so much money on chemo anymore , radiation or surgeries that wouldn’t work hemp oil also cure diabetes . Where to purchase, contact Rick at: simpsoncannabisoil6@gmail.com or call him on +17072771047 or +16363335104