Christmas choking hazards

aja_choking-story-picHow often have you given a child a gift, only for the box or wrapping to be more interesting to them? This Christmas we’re asking you to keep an eye out for wrappings, ribbons, decorations, or plastic packaging that may pose a choking, suffocation or strangulation hazard, especially around young children.

Additionally, anything that’s smaller than a D-sized battery, like small pieces in Christmas crackers, button batteries, nuts, lollies and small toys, can choke a child under three years.

It’s especially important to check toys, gadgets and musical cards for button batteries – if found, consider removing them from your home.  If a child swallows a button battery, go to your nearest hospital emergency department immediately and do not induce vomiting

The RCH Australian Child Health Poll recently found that more than a third (38%) of Australian parents reported they did not know the first aid for a choking child. If you don’t feel confident in first aid treatment of children, consider making time to do some first aid training. First aid course providers, along with more tips on choking prevention, are listed in our fact sheet Choking, Suffocation and Strangulation

2 comments for “Christmas choking hazards”

  1. Annie Sweeney

    Can you publish picture prompt education fact sheet. re
    christmas saftey
    never leave chn in hot cars.
    care of small chn in hot weather.

    too many words, not multicultural. if it is in picture ie board maker , it is accessible to all parents and carers including no english speaking, low literacy.

    Reply

Add a comment


Previous post Next post